"Housing Fund" Donations Needed

As many of you are aware, efforts have been being made by many to find long term housing for Owen County records. The following is a notice from Terresa Thompson in regards to what they have found and the price that is being paid. This is being added here for the benefit of anyone wishing to send donations to the proper people to help with this effort.

Just this morning we were able to negotiate to rent the lower level of the post office directly across from the courthouse!!! It is plenty big enough for all of the old records and it is dry and temperature controlled. We have not received the paperwork yet, but it is "in the mail". The rent has been quoted at $175.00 per month.

I'm hoping to have volunteers to help us make the move... let me know if you are available this Thursday or Friday. I'm not sure of the time yet, but I will let you know. I know this is a bad time and you are all busy... but I think we can get this done in just a few hours with your help. Email and let me know if you can help and I'll put you on the "notify" list. Thank you!

Hopefully, all of those who wrote earlier will now step forward and contribute to the fund to keep the records here for long-term housing. As soon as we are settled in and have everything in order, we plan to start the process of digitizing all of the records. If you are interested in participating in this effort, please call Terresa Thompson (812-828-0064) or Jack and Vivian Zollinger (812-829-4466) and give us your name. We will be setting up schedules for training and working after the first of the year.

If you want to contribute to the "Housing Fund", please send your donations to

Owen County Historical and Genealogical Society

Old-Records Housing Fund

P. O. Box 569

Spencer, IN 47460

Please make checks payable to OCHGS

Thank you all for your continued support!

Terresa Thompson

President, OCHGS and Owen County Historian