Jennings Township Church History
Mount Pleasant Baptist Church
The oldest religious organization in Jennings Township is the Mount Pleasant Baptist Church organized about the year 1839 by John Sinclair, Mr. Gillaspy and Thomas Evans. The organization was effected at the residence of Wyatt P. Cook, where service were held for some time after which the Buckskin Schoolhouse was used for a meeting place. A house of worship was erected about the year 1869, on ground donated for the purpose by Shelton Hodge and cost the sum of $800. At one time the society was very strong but by 1884 the numbers were few owing to deaths and removals. The Reverend Allen was the pastor at that time.
Mount Zion Methodist Episcopal Church
The church was located in the eastern part of the township and was an offshoot from the Salem Church of Taylor township. The house of worship was a substantial edifice and the society numbered among its members some of the best citizens of the county.
Cataract Baptist Church
This church was organized in the year 1876 by Elders Parker and Bicknell with a membership of about twenty. A house of worship was erected one year later on ground purchased of T.C. Jennings at a cost of about $1000.
The pastors of the church have been: Revs. James F. Beaman, Robert Moore, James Arnett and James Buchanan. In 1884, the church was without a regular preacher and the membership numbered about eighty. Some church officials were: Smith Corns, Clerk; Garrett Brewer and James Burnett, Deacons; William McCormack, Superintendent of Sunday School.