The Methodist Church
Source: Cloverdale Then and Now (1839-1939)
The first religious meeting in the township was held by the Methodists at the home of John MACY, in 1824, and was conducted by John CORD, an itinerate Methodist preacher.
After him, came John McCORD, Stephen GRIMES, Daniel ANDERSON, William H. SMITH, Mr. STRANGE and others. A log church was erected and continued in use until 1848, when a larger log church was built and was called the Mount Zion Methodist Church. This was in use until 1873.
In that year, they erected their present Church building. In the early days there was another Methodist Church at Poplar Grove, west of Cloverdale, but it has for many years been discontinued.